Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock.

This is a tough one.
Gun violence and suicide.
In the US, there have been far too many incidents of teenage gun violence, and whilst it is a topic
that must be tackled, I couldn't quite get into this the way I normally would with Quick's work -- I just couldn't do the topic.
I suppose there are some things I would rather not acknowledge.
It is a weakness of mine,
to push aside that which is difficult to acknowledge as a factually supported truth.
We all do that to greater or lesser degrees,
bury facts under rugs so thick and with all those feet running over the top surely no one would ever feel the lumps.
I mean we should be able to stop something like this, right?
We're meant to see the red flags, right?
Like I said, a tough topic, and there is no question that Quick handles it in a way
that is very personal and connects us enough to climb inside one teenage mind to
find what makes those thoughts and motivations tick.
Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock
I did have a wee bit of difficulty with the character, initially anyway.
I just couldn't quite believe the light-hearted side to someone who carries a gun in a backpack with an intention to use it would bother beautifully wrapping presents for those he was leaving behind,
but then maybe I'm wrong.
Maybe even in those extreme moments we are so very multi-dimensional that why not?
It's within the realm, it's just not within my realm.
Why?
Cause to think about doing such things means you are in such a terribly
dark place the last thing you ever think about is the affect on those left behind,
so the presents?
Not sure there.
So far, this one's not for me,
but I'll push on just to make sure I give it every opportunity
to prove me wrong.
Whether you can handle this subject matter or not,
one thing is certain, the figures talk.
We're not doing something right,
or we're just not doing enough.



No comments:

Post a Comment